Account Security (2FA / MFA / Backup Codes / E-mail recovery)
The reason you want to enable 2FA is to prevent to let some stranger or hacker access your account, when they've retrieved or guessed your password.
What you should do is put an extra layer of protection so you can prevent this, and that you're certain, only you can access your account and nobody else, by the means of:
- sms (not to be used when you're an high level target)
- backup emailadres
To enable 2FA for the most common website, read on for the link 2fa tutorial.
Hackers or people with bad intentions do this via:
- Phishing mails
- Wachting over your shoulder
- Gain access via an unpatched computer
- Reading your password.txt / Excel file
- Guessing your password > Brute Force Dictionary Attack.
- Look in a Database if your current password is the same of the hacked account. This does not mean you were victim then, but re-using old credentials can get you in trouble.
I'll be providing some options and where to find them.
Want to know more?